Debt Advice – What to Do If You Are in Council Tax Arrears

Council Tax Arrears

If you are in arrears with your council tax payments, you should seek debt advice as soon as possible. There is a number of legal options available to you, including a Liability Order. The court will ask you to explain the reasons for your non-payment and determine whether you are able to pay your council tax. You may also be offered a payment plan that will allow you to pay off your debt at a more affordable rate. However, you should be aware that failure to make a payment could result in you being jailed.

If you cannot afford to pay your council tax, you can either apply for a liability order, ask the council to write the amount off, or spread the amount in instalments. When you make payments to your local authority, you should include the council tax reference number and the liability order number. It is important to be certain that the information is accurate. This will ensure that your payments will be recognised.

In addition to applying for a Liability Order, a council can also seize property or take money from your wages. This can be especially problematic if you are in arrears on mortgages or rent. Depending on the situation, you might be required to pay bailiff fees.

If you have received a liability order, you should speak to your local authority as soon as you can. They will be able to tell you if your property is at risk of seizure, and if it is, they will help you make a suitable arrangement. While you are waiting for an outcome, you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for advice.

If you have a liability order, your council will send you a summons, which tells you when and where a court hearing will take place. A summons will contain the time and location of the hearing, and it will also mention how much the court costs. If you do not appear, the court will levy costs against you. These costs can add hundreds of pounds to your bill.

The court will ask questions about your financial situation, and the court may also look at the assets you own. For this reason, you should be prepared for your court hearing. After the hearing, you will have to pay the full amount plus the costs of the summons.

Once you have been issued with a liability order, you should make an appointment to see a lawyer as soon as possible. If you are in severe financial hardship, you should also seek debt advice. Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or a debt advice service.

The best thing to do is to work with your council to establish a repayment plan that suits your needs. You can also ask your council to write the debt off, and if they do not agree, you can apply to the Local Government Ombudsman for help.

If you have a liability order, you can avoid a court hearing by paying the total amount in full. However, this may not be the best option. Since a Liability Order is a court document, you can lose your right to pay in instalments.

Debt Advice – What to Do If You Are in Council Tax Arrears was first seen on Debt Worries