How to Deal With Council Tax Arrears Without Going to Court

Council Tax Arrears

If you’re in arrears with your council tax, it’s crucial to contact the council as soon as possible. If you do not do this, they may take you to court to recover the money, which will cost you hundreds of pounds. Fortunately, there are ways to resolve your debt without going to court.

If you’re in a position where you’re unable to pay, your council may try to collect the money from your wages or benefits. To avoid this, you should contact the council and explain your financial situation. The council will make an arrangement that suits your situation. You can also try to resolve your debt by contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Before contacting the council, you should prepare a budget to explain your financial situation to them. You should then start making payments as soon as you can. Keep in mind that your council may reject your payment offer at first, so be sure to keep making the payments. This will show them that you can afford the payments and will eventually reduce your arrears.

In some cases, councils can write off council tax bills and arrears if you can’t pay. They call this “severe hardship.” If you can’t pay the bill for a month or more, then they may be able to do so. However, each council has its own policy for using this provision.

If you are in arrears with your council, you can negotiate a payment arrangement. You should explain why you can’t pay your arrears and how your payment will help prevent further arrears. If you don’t get a fair deal, you should contact the local council. They may even be able to intervene on your behalf.

When your instalments become overdue, you will receive a reminder. You have seven days from the reminder to pay. If you miss your second instalment, you will receive a second reminder. If you fail to pay the third instalment, you’ll receive a final notice. The council can take legal action to recover the money owed to you.

Non-payment of council tax can lead to jail time. If you don’t pay on time, you may be sentenced to three months in jail. However, if you contact the local council and explain your circumstances, they are likely to agree to a payment plan. In some cases, council tax debts can even be written off completely if you can prove that you cannot pay the entire amount. However, if you can’t make your monthly payments, you should consider getting legal advice.

Attachment of earnings orders are another way to get help with your arrears. The council can ask your employer to deduct some of your income. The deduction rate depends on how much your net income is. Usually, the more you earn, the higher the deduction.

How to Deal With Council Tax Arrears Without Going to Court was first seen on Debt Worries