It was the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel back on the top step of the podium in Canada, the German taking back the Championship lead by a solitary point from defending champion, Lewis Hamilton [Mercedes].
Vettel qualified on pole position around the Montreal track, despite suffering badly with traffic in Q2. But in Q3 the four-time World Champion twice beat the lap record around the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. The Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas the number two spot, just a tenth of a second behind, while Max Verstappen [Red Bull], Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen’s Ferrari rounded out the top five places on the grid.
Vettel took a march from lights out, leading Bottas and Verstappen away – the two of them going wheel to wheel through the first few corners. Behind them though, the Torro Rosso of Brendan Hartley and the Williams of Lance Stroll, Stoll oversteering through the chicane, squeezing Hartley up against the wall, resulting in a dramatic looking crash as the Torro Rosso got plenty of air, the two of them lucky not to come in to contact with anyone else.
Following the resulting safety car period Vettel got a great restart, running faultlessly from there on. Hamilton lost out to Daniel Ricciardo [Red Bull] during the first round of pitstops, and very nearly had Raikkonen pss him at the second, the Mercedes driver hampered by Sergey Sirotkin’s Williams as Raikkonen left the pitlane, Lewis hanging on by the slenderest of margins.
There was disappointment once more for Fernando Alonso [McLaren], the Spaniard retired on lap forty-two, in the 300th grand prix weekend of his career, the McLaren team leaving Canada pointless as teammate Stoffel Vandoorne could only claim sixteenth place.
So with Vettel out front, it was left to Valtteri Bottas to claim first runner-up spot, Verstappen the final podium position, while Ricciardo and Hamilton completed the top five.
1. Sebastian Vettel GER Scuderia Ferrari
2. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
3. Max Verstappen NED Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
4. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
5. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
6. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Scuderia Ferrari
7. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault Sport Formula One Team
8. Carlos Sainz Jr. ESP Renault Sport Formula One Team
9. Esteban Ocon FRA Sahara Force India F1 Team
10. Charles Leclerc MON Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team
First seen on Formula 1