Daniel Ricciardo, at the wheel of his Red Bull, took victory from pole position in the Monaco Grand Prix, fending off second placed Sebastian Vettel [Ferrari] despite having a power issue for most of the race. Championship leader Lewis Hamilton [Mercedes] took the final podium spot, leading the overall standings by fourteen points from Vettel, while Ricciardo climbed to third.
It was Ricciardo’s first win on the streets of Monte Carlo having topped free practice one, two and three, then set fastest lap to claim pole position.
“Finally put it to bed, redemption has been served” beamed Daniel, “It was served kind of cold, we had problems, too many for my liking, but we got there, I’m happy now, we got to the chequered flag first so I’m happy now.
I remember just putting my foot down and I had a significant loss of power, immediately I didn’t know what it was I just thought, it’s done! We had to move the brakes like seven clicks forward because the rears were getting hot. It wasn’t fun, we had to lift and coast a lot to save the brakes, fortunately it happened on a tight circuit like this where it’s hard to overtake”.
1. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
2. Sebastian Vettel GER Scuderia Ferrari
3. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
4. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Scuderia Ferrari
5. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
6. Esteban Ocon FRA Sahara Force India F1 Team
7. Pierre Gasly FRA Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda
8. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault Sport Formula One Team
9. Max Verstappen NED Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
10. Carlos Sainz Jr. ESP Renault Sport Formula One Team
11. Marcus Ericsson SWE Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team
12. Sergio Perez MEX Sahara Force India F1 Team
13. Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas F1 Team
14. Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren F1 Team
15. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas F1 Team
16. Sergey Sirotkin RUS Williams Martini Racing
17. Lance Stroll CAN Williams Martini Racing
DNF. Brendon Hartley NZL Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda
DNF. Charles Leclerc MON Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team
DNF. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren F1 Team
First seen on Formula 1