Sangria is a popular drink in Spain made with red wine, pieces of fruits, spices and the optional drop of brandy.
The soaked chunks become plummy, juicy and absolutely delicious. So when you finish your drink, remember to spoon them out from the bottom of the glass and eat them.
The word ‘Sangria’ is derived from the Spanish word sangre meaning blood. This refers to the deep ruby red colour of the wine. However, it can also be enjoyed by non alcohol drinkers alike!
Here is a simple recipe for you to follow at home.
A non alcoholic sangria is an alcohol free version of the drink which is just as refreshing, sweet, and tasty.
To get this deep red Sangria is known for, hibiscus tea is the perfect substitute, and it also has amazing health benefits. It’s so easy to put together and it can chill in the fridge until it’s time to serve.
To make this fruity, family friendly mocktail, you will need fruits, SACO hibiscus flower, a few spices and water!
This punch can be enjoyed all year round. It is the perfect refreshing drink on a warm sunny day during a barbecue but can also be enjoyed during festive seasons such as Christmas as the spices and the beautiful colour fit perfectly into the Christmas theme.
- 25g SACO Hibiscus flowers
- 1L water
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Cinnamon sticks
- 2-3 tablespoons of Raw cane sugar (or favourite sweetener)
- ½ Lemon
- 1 green apple
- 1 orange
- 1 handful of cubes of fresh pineapple
- Fill a pot with cold water and add the hibiscus tea, the cinnamon stick and the star anise
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and add the sugar
- Let it rest for about an hour then strain the hibiscus water
- Wash the fruits thoroughly under cold, running water
- Dice the apple and slice the orange
- Add all the fruits and the squeeze of lemon juice in the hibiscus tea
- Taste the sweetness and adjust accordingly
- Place in the fridge and let it steep overnight or for no less than 8 hours
- When ready to serve, pour in a jug for cold drinks with some ice
- Serve chilled
- You can use stevia instead of raw can sugar
- If you don’t have fresh pineapple, you can use the frozen one too.
Have you made something delicious with SACO Hibiscus Flower?
Share your creation with us on Instagram and tag @sacosuperfoods
Non-alcoholic Hibiscus Sangria was first seen on SACO Super Foods